When We Met

We met: at the end of October.
They tell me we had met prior to this
But really I don’t recall
I will always call this the first time.


We met: In the worst time of my life
I was leaving him
And you were helping pack up my life
You didn’t know me
But you still offered to help a stranger move
And wanted nothing in return


When we met: I thought you were cute.
But my “best friend” was crazy about you
She talked about you non-stop
She made it seem like you both had this amazing connection
She wanted me to help setthe two of you up.
And because I was numb to emotions and needed to feel something
I agreed to help


That first month after we met: Was a whirlwind of emotions.
I was sad, scared and lost
You were a comforting shoulder to cry on
Someone I looked forward to talking to everyday
Someone I looked forward to seeing
I assume any feeling I had were because you were the first person to be nice to me in over 6 months
Of course, It wouldn't have mattered anyway because she wanted to be with you
And it was my job to try and make it happen
So I ignored those feeling
and I tried to help

I asked all the right questions, I dropped just enough hints, I set up all the right hangouts.
I did everything I thought was right.


The weeks after we met: Behind the scenes would show
That my feelings were growing
But I continued to suppress them
Because that is what good friends do... right?
I was in no place to have feelings for anyone
I didn’t even like me
I was still constantly destroying myself
She continued to tell me you had to like me better
Because I was “thinner”
Making comments relecting that the only reason you would ever like me is because I’m thin.


The night I met feelings: happened to be the night she had said she was going to tell you hers
She chickened out - and wanted me to do it for her.
What she didn’t know is that was the same night my heart actually skipped a beat when I saw you
That was the night I realized. I never stopped smiling whenever we were together
Or when I would hear your name
Or when you messaged me
That was the day I realized I had caught feelings deeper than just friendship.
But-I kept my mouth shut and did my job.
I told you I wanted to set you two up, you made a comment explaining that you were not interested in her like that
I left it at that and let her know.
She said it was fine and she would be over it soon
But we know how that worked out.
I still kept my feelings to myself
Since I had no idea if you felt the same
And I was in no place mentally for rejection


The night we met feelings: was a holiday
My excitement level was at an all-time high
And so was my anxiety
Part of me knew it was wrong to have feelings for the guy my friend liked
No matter how many times she said she was over it
But head and heart don’t always say the same things
I changed 7 times that day
I was shaking with nerves when you came to get me
It ended up being the best holiday I had in a long time
I spent the night at your place
Nothing happened, but everything happened.
It was apparently to me then
That this was mutual


The day we met the backlash: was the day I told my “best friend” I had feelings for you
I knew she would be upset- but you both never dated
So I assumed she would do what I would do in this situation
And let people be happy
I was wrong
And I was wrong about everything else following this day


Then whirlwind started.
The lies, the rumors, the back stabbing,
the purposely making drama to keep two people away.
It worked
you told me you only wanted to be friends
I felt every possible piece of sadness
But I accepted it because I knew I messed up
By thinking someone else could let go of their feelings.


Five months after we met: my feelings for you some how keep growing
I still look forward to your messages
I still smile every time I see you
My heart still races when you are around.
I still have an irrational want to be around you a much as possible.


The difference this time
Is that you picked someone else.
And I have to be okay with that
Even if it tugs at my heart strings
Because I would rather be friends with you than not have you around at all.





It's funny how sometimes you sit down to write something and the words just flow.
It's  even funnier when while you are in the editing process so many things happen and everything you wrote seems even more relevant. 
I wrote this post about 2 days before we hung out- before someone asked the question "how did you two meet"(Don't worry blogger friends- we corrected them and let them know we are just friends)
I had never heard you tell your view of this story before. And when I did it felt like I was reading the other half of what I had just written. 
But that is a story (hopefully) for another time and place, because this one still ends the same. 

Xo-C

Comments

Popular Posts